Pages

Saturday 3 August 2013

Respectable V Money

After a conversation with an old work colleague I’ve discovered I’m earning less in my new “respectable” job then I would be in my old frowned upon retail job.

I’m not a idiot I realized I was earning less than I was on my night-shifts, my old job paid night rates and this one doesn’t but I didn’t know I was being screwed on my day rates too.

After bills I walk away with a grand total of a £100 spare a week.....bearing in mind I live at home!! The plan was, if I liked this job and they took me on, to move, at this rate, for that to happen I need to find myself a rich man.

I’ve been trying to look at this job as training (hence me tolerating the abysmal pay) it’s in an industry I really want to get into, because there is good money to be earned. But 37 miles each way for 100 spendable pounds a week is enough to make the best of us rant.

Then last night I was complaining to Will that there was no eye candy to look at it (both Sparky and Merlin were off) and he said “so I never have any eye candy to look at”. The dude earns £30,000 a year.....I earn (if my math is right) after tax £10,400 a year.....I’d earn more asking “would you like fries with that?” Eye candy isn’t too much to ask for, now is it!?

Don’t get me wrong despite this rant I love the job, but I just find it crazy that my old job that is frowned upon is actually better paying then my new so called respectable one.


-The Honest Bitch  

5 comments:

  1. Hey, I am paying several thousand a year to get the job of my dreams. Training, if it is for something you really want, is worth some sacrifices.

    BTW, VS is short for versus. The way brains and I were talking.... well my mind was on sex. "Respectable V Money" had me going in a whole different direction.:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had me going in a different direction too ... I am curious. Where exactly was your mind going Jamie?

      Delete
    2. I was thinking it was maybe a post about dating rich guys because they are rich. You know, "respectable" whoring;)

      Delete
  2. And my dear many times the so called respectable jobs pay the less. Money versus loving your job ... I pick loving my job. As for the respectable part, as long as you respect it, that's all that matters. Half of my childhood entourage doesn't think being a flight attendant is a respectable job - it is the equivalent of being a waitress for them - but I am very happy I didn't listen to them. I love it and they would all love to be me when I am in Thailand, Iceland, Paris and New York all the same month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually C works in a blue collar trade. Most of my friends think it is not respectable because he did not go to university, but a vocational college. BUT, he makes a damn good wage. And he enjoys it.

    And yes, I am aware some of my friends are snobs

    ReplyDelete